For The Offspring’s birthday I made a Sun Gold Caprese Salad hors d’oeuvre platter. It was such a hit that I didn’t have time to get a picture. I have a bunch of the orange Sun Gold tomatoes from my six plants. When I was making dinner last night I made a plate for the three of us and a small one for Ma and Pa, too.
It’s really simple. Since the little orange Sun Gold tomatoes are “cherry” size, you don’t need a lot of cheese or fresh basil either.
1. Chop Mozzarella Cheese into small-ish cubes.
2. Stick a toothpick through the cheese
3. Stick the toothpick through a small fresh basil leaf
4. Stick the toothpick through a tomato
5. Place loaded toothpick on plate
6. Repeat for as many as you want
7. Combine equal parts Balsamic Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a bottle and shake well
8. Drizzle the vinegar/oil mixture over the top of the tomatoes/basil/cheese and serve
I didn’t add any salt or pepper. The Sun Gold tomatoes have such a great flavor that they don’t need any seasoning.
To get a printer friendly copy of the recipe, go here. (If link doesn’t work it is because the recipe is still under review.)
OK, now I’m hungry for more… too bad we ate them all. 😉
Have you had Caprese Salad before? Did you like it?